I feel a bit guilty calling this a pizza because really it’s not really a pizza but instead a cauliflower in a pizza disguise. However, it’s still pretty darn tasty despite the illusion.
I have a love/hate relationship with cauliflower pizza as sometimes it can all go very wrong! But I have finally found a recipe that works for me. So here it is! the perfect cauliflower pizza crust.
The most important tricks to remember when making a cauliflower pizza are:
- Squeeze all the water out of the purèed cauliflower or it will not be crisp when it is cooked and will fall apart.
- Don’t go overboard with the sauce and toppings. Cauliflower is a moist vegetable so just put a thin layer of tomato sauce or pesto over it before putting a few toppings of choice on.
- I have also tried this recipe with vegan cheese and it works just as well. I think almost any cheese would work with this recipe actually.
Some of my favourite toppings are:
- Prosciutto and FIGS. This is seriously my favourite topping. The figs caramelize perfectly in the oven and create a jam like texture. It’s to die for, you must try it.
- Prosciutto, olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Fresh cherry tomatoes, wilted spinach and an egg cracked in the middle.
- Pesto base with pine nuts, rocket and capsicum.
- Chickpeas rolled in sumac with butternut squash.