Gee, it’s certainly getting chilly here in Melbourne and as I bundle up to avoid the chill a need for comfort food grows.
Instead of reaching for another slice of pizza (not that there’s anything wrong with that) I decided to whip up a batch of pumpkin soup.
I’ve never been a huge fan of soup but this particular soup is so creamy, filling and comforting- it’s hard to dislike!
It’s topped off with a drizzle of pesto to add interest and depth of flavour. No boring soup to be found here.
An added bonus is that pumpkin is full of fiber so it keeps you full and protects your heart!
Now onto the recipe.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe (Vegan)
Serves: 4 or so
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 600 grams of pumpkin
- 400 grams of carrot
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp or more fresh, grated ginger
- Set oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Cube the pumpkin and carrots, place on a baking tray and drizzle with the coconut oil and sprinkle on the cinnamon and tumeric.
- Roast the pumpkin and carrot until soft- about 30-45 mins.
- Once baked pop the pumpkin, carrot, coconut milk and grated ginger into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Top with pesto (recipe below)
- 2 bunches of coriander
- Handful of roasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients together
- Keeps for 1-2 weeks