The winter weather is rolling around once again (tears of joy roll down my cheeks) which means it’s time for warming meals. Soups, porridge, roasts and sweet potato chips of course!
I love this time of year as it means I can bundle up and make an effort with my outfits. The cooler weather also means that I can eat all my favourite warm foods without breaking a sweat. Sweet potato chips are my idea of the perfect comfort food, you can do so many things with them. There are so many flavour combinations to toss them in and so many tasty dips to bath them in (guacamole!). My favourite combination is smokey paprika chips dipped in homemade guacamole which is today’s recipe. Sometimes I enjoy eating a whole batch of these with guacamole or tomato sauce when I need a serious boost of happiness.
Now this is no ordinary baked chip recipe…these chips are actually crispy! Yes, long gone are the dreaded soggy sweet potato chip days. I have finally managed to perfect the trick to crispy chips and I’m here to share the joy with you.
Crispy sweet potato chips with smokey paprika
serves around 3 (or 1 for a main meal)
- 1 large fresh sweet potato
- Smokey paprika (plain and sweet paprika do not have the same effect). Italian herbs are also a good option if you are not a fan of paprika
- 1 large teaspoon of coconut or olive oil
Method (the most important part of the recipe)
- Set oven to the roast setting or simply 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the sweet potato into 1cm chips (or wedges if you prefer)
- Dry them well in a paper towel to remove any moisture.
- Toss them in the oil and then coat them in the paprika. Make sure they are coated evenly and well as this will determine crispiness levels.
- Spread them on a tray lined with baking paper. Make sure they are spread out well and not too close together.
- Put in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through
- Now set the oven to the grill setting and grill the chips for an extra 3 minutes.
- Leave to cool for a bit and then enjoy your delicious crispy chips with some homemade guacamole. Yum!