I’ve always been a fan of lemon cake, whether it be lemon and poppyseed, lemon drizzle or lemon curd….it’s always a winner in my books. After watching The Great British Bake Off I was inspired to mix up my usual lemon cake by adding Limoncello!
Limoncello is an Italian, lemon liqueur usually had chilled as an after dinner digestivo. But why not have it in cake too?
This cake is moist, boozy and the perfect treat to bring to a dinner party with Mary Berry. Best served with lemon ice cream or curd.
- 2 1/2 cups of self raising flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups of sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 milk (I used oat)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 Limoncello
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
Lemon Curd Filling – Recipe here
1. Prepare 2 cake pans. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Add the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla to an electric mixer bowl and beat until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
3. Add the eggs one at a time.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until combined.
5. Combine the milk, lemon juice and Limoncello, then slowly add the mixture to the batter.
6. Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and gently stir to combine.
7. Divide the batter evenly between the cakes pans and bake for 25 minutes.
8. Allow the cakes to cool before spreading the lemon curd in the middle and sandwiching the cakes together. Feel free to top with lemon curd too!