The Great British Bake Off is back so to celebrate I thought I would whip up some scones. They ARE the classic English afternoon tea treat after all. These scones are extra special as they’re dairy free and accompanied by an equally dairy free lemon curd. What a pairing!
My Aunty Maeve is a baking genius and when I visited her in Ireland she baked up a dairy free storm for me. These scones were some of the best I had ever tasted. So I thought I would share the recipe!
To top off your afternoon tea why not pair your scones with a fresh lemon curd. Use the freshest lemons you can find for the best result.
Scone Recipe (Dairy free)
Makes about 12
What you need
- Baking sheet
- Scone cutter (2.5 inch diameter)
- 450 grams self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 56 grams caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 56 grams dairy free butter
- Soy milk
- Heat oven to 225 degrees C.
- Put half the flour in a bowl with the vegan butter (cut into small pieces with a knife) and rub in by hand until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add in the rest of the dry ingredients (except eggs)
- Beat eggs with fork in a separate bowl and make up to 325ml with soy milk. Mix thoroughly. Leave a little aside for glazing scones and add the rest into the main bowl and mix.
- When mixture comes together, tip out onto a clean, floured worktop.
- Knead a little and then spread out about an inch (a knuckle) high.
- Dip cutter in flour and cut out scones (about 12).
- Brush with set aside egg/milk mixture
- Bake for 10 – 15 mins
Best enjoyed warm! Will keep for a couple of days.
Lemon Curd Recipe (Dairy free)
Makes a large jar
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 2 super fresh lemons
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- Whisk the eggs in a small pot
- Add in the honey and lemon zest and whisk
- Juice the lemons and place the 1/2 cup of juice to the side
- Place pot over medium-low heat and constantly whisk until it’s a pale yellow and a bit thickened (this may take some time)
- Slowly add in the lemon juice while continuing to whisk
- Slowly add in the butter a tbsp at a time and continue to whisk
- Continue to whisk until it thickens more (may take up to 10 mins)
- Remove from the heat and strain through a sieve before putting it in the fridge overnight to thicken up.