O.K, I admit it, I’ve been in a creative funk for the last month. I just haven’t felt inspired. Instead of churning out work I wasn’t proud of I decided to take a little break.
Having recently moved to Dublin I’ve found myself spending all my energy on job hunting. This has left me feeling a little unenthused when it comes to expressing myself creatively.
If you’re in the same boat, not to worry, I’ve got you covered. Here are my top 4 tips to help you get your creative mojo back.
1. Spend time in nature
Instead of sitting inside at a desk eating your lunch why not spend it in the park? Getting some fresh air while strolling around is refreshing and gets those creative juices flowing. Take some deep breaths while you’re at it and feel yourself relax. Boy, I sure do hold a lot of tension in my shoulders.
2. Don’t try to hunt inspiration down
Trust me, frantically searching for inspiration in every nook and cranny isn’t going to do you any good. In fact, you’ll just end up even more frustrated and swearing you’ll never be inspired again.
Urgh, I know, what a pain! But I promise getting out and exercising will do you a whole lot of good. Not only does it get your endorphins flowing it also helps clear your mind of all those little things that have been distracting you.
4. Think of all the possibilities
Sometimes we hold ourselves back by thinking we’re not capable. Instead of getting into this negative mindset try something new, something you’ve always wanted to try but assumed you couldn’t do. It could be a simple thing like making a new dish or, if you’re feeling adventurous, bungee jumping!
While I was walking around St. Stephens Green I noticed the tulips and daffodils were beginning to bloom. Which means spring is coming! Spring is my favourite time of year and surprisingly it gets me thinking about salad. Weird I know.. But I’m a converted salad lover. This is predominately thanks to Yotam Ottolenghi, the master of salads.
If you’re not sold on the whole salad thing why not start off simple? Here’s my favourite simple salad recipe.
Simple Salad Recipe
- Sweet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smokey paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Protein of choice- Chickpeas, tuna, chicken, salmon
- Avocado, cubed
- Goats cheese
- Toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Lemon tahini dressing
- Heat oven to 2oo degrees C.
- Chop the carrots and sweet potato into chips. Place them on a roasting tray, pour over the olive oil, sprinkle on the smokey paprika and the salt and pepper. Roast for around 45 minutes or until soft.
- Put the lettuce, protein of choice, avocado and roasted vegetables in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle over the goats cheese and toasted seeds.
- Finish with the tahini dressing and enjoy!